Search This Blog

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cupcake Diaries Series

          


While shopping with another third grade student (Hi CG!) and his mom at Books-a-Million, I found these books (buy 2 get the 3rd 50% off). I have purchased a lot of "boy" oriented books recently because I am  trying to force encourage those male reluctant readers to fall in love with reading but I haven't purchased any new "girl" oriented books lately. Cupcakes are such a trendy item and the cover was cute.. so I bought them. Two students have read them so far (Hi HH and PW!). Both gave them rave reviews so I brought the first one home.  

Katie and the Cupcake Cure is about transitioning to middle school. Katie's best friend makes new friends. While Katie is sad about all the changes she, too, makes new friends and comes out smiling. A fast, friendly realistic fiction read that I think most 3rd grade girls will love. 

Side note: I do have a boy who asked if he could read these books when I finished (Hi NB!).  I'll let you know his take on it after he reads the first one. NB has read all of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, all of the Captain Underpants books, The Amulet series, and the Bone series... we'll see what he thinks about girls, middle school, and cupcakes! :-) 

My rating: 5 stars


AR ATOS book level: 3.8
AR points: 3

The rating system:

  • grab it as soon as possible --- 5 stars
  • grab it today --- 4 stars
  • grab it tomorrow --- 3 stars
  • grab it this weekend --- 2 stars
  • pick it up next time you're out --- 1 stars
I won't even blog about books I don't like at least a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment