Search This Blog

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Stolen into Slavery, The True Story of Solomon Northup, Free Black Man




Wow! That is the first thing I have to say about this book. This is a book that one of my third graders (Hi IGK!) chose from a Scholastic book order when she redeemed her prize for AR points. I was a little worried when she chose it that it might not interest her but she has a love for history and she read it immediately. One day in class I eavesdropped (teachers have to do that sometimes because when kiddos realize we are listening their conversations change! :-) ) on a conversation between IGK and her friend HH. IGK was telling HH all about the book and both girls were intensely involved in the conversation (THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR A TEACHER TO HEAR!!!!).  I knew that eventually I needed to read this book. Soon after IGK told me that I needed to read the book and offered to let me borrow it (after her Dad read it). IGK brought me the book yesterday. I started reading it while the kiddos were doing an independent writing assignment. (I think it is important for kids to see their teachers and parents read!). I read about 10 pages and was hooked. Thanks IGK for the recommendation!

This is the true story of Solomon Northup, a free black man, who lived in New York.  Solomon was befriended by two white men who offered him work and then kidnapped him and sold him into slavery. (Am I the only person who didn't know this happened?!) This book tells Solomon's story and truly allows the reader to have a better understanding of America in the mid-1800s.

There is one slight problem with this book for third graders. It mentions the word sex, just that.. no details.. it just states that a slave owner wanted to have sex with one of his slaves. UGH!!! A great book possibly ruined for third grade usage! Now, I have a problem (IGK's mom sent me a message warning me of the word.).  HH has searched high and low for a copy of this book to read! IGK made a sign up sheet yesterday for people to borrow her book! What to do, what to do?!  My solution: I am going to read this book aloud for a social studies unit and leave out the 2 or 3 sentences that are inappropriate for a third grade.

Great book, great authors!
My rating: 5 stars


AR ATOS book level: 7.1
AR points: 4

The rating system:

  • grab it as soon as possible --- 5 stars
  • grab it today --- 4 stars
  • grab it tomorrow --- 3 stars
  • grab it this weekend --- 2 stars
  • pick it up next time you're out --- 1 stars
I won't even blog about books I don't like at least a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment